A police search has led to two men being arrested, with one charged, following a vicious attack on retired North Melbourne footballer Jack Ziebell.

On Saturday night, Ziebell, who had earlier in the day played in his last AFL game for the Kangaroos against Richmond at the MCG, was subject to a violent attack outside popular South Yarra nightspot, the Osborne Rooftop Bar.

It was reported in the hours following the incident the veteran had been celebrating his retirement with family, friends, and club officials on Saturday evening.

Further details about the attack have since emerged, with the decorated Shinboner expected to undergo surgery this week to repair injuries sustained to his face as a result of the assault.

Victoria Police revealed on Monday that a 21-year-old male has been charged with affray, intentionally causing injury and assault by kicking, while a 26-year-old man has been released by police amid ongoing enquiries, per SEN. 

"He has been released (from hospital), but it is likely he is going to have to go back in this week to have a little bit of surgery," reported Sunrise's Teegan Dolling on Monday morning.

"The three men that police are looking for were here inside the Osborne in South Yarra on Saturday night. It's understood that they were harassing the 32-year-old and were kicked out by security.

"A short time later, Ziebell walked outside and it was there that he was attacked. He was punched at least once to the face and then was kicked while he was on the ground.

"He was here celebrating his retirement with his wife, his mates, and a couple of team members, too.

"Now, he's going to have to have surgery, we understand, on a broken nose. He has been released from hospital [and] police are obviously still looking for the trio.

Joining Ziebell in retirement on Saturday were three-time Richmond premiership pair Trent Cotchin and Jack Riewoldt, who graced the hallowed turf one final time in front of an attendance of almost 60,000, with the Tigers running out victors.

Ziebell's retiring teammate, stalwart Ben Cunnington, played his final league game in Round 22's loss to Essendon.