SHANGHAI, CHINA - MAY 14: Kade Kolodjashnij of the Suns in action during the 2017 AFL round 08 match between the Gold Coast Suns and Port Adelaide Power at Jiangwan Sports Stadium on May 14, 2017 in Shanghai, China. (Photo by Michael Willson/AFL Media/Getty Images)

Gold Coast young gun Kade Kolodjashnij has been ruled out for the rest of the 2017 season with ongoing symptoms of concussion.

Kolodjashnij and the Suns’ medical staff have been working together to get him back healthy once again, although they Gold Coast doctors thought it would be better for his welfare to rest for the remainder of the season.

“Kade’s actually doing quite well at the moment,” Chief Medical Officer Dr Barry Rigby told goldcoastfc.com.au.

“As you know he suffered some concussion symptoms over the last few weeks and he’s been pulled from playing.

“He has improved but when we did try and train him again, he again recurred with symptoms suggesting he had ongoing concussion.

“In terms of Kade’s progress from here on in, he will not be playing for the rest of the season, we’ve made a medical decision in his best interest.

“He will continue to have some further testing and some active treatment and we’re hopeful that he will continue to make a good recovery.

The 21-year-old played 11 of the first 12 games for the Suns so far this season, with his last appearance coming against Carlton in round 13.

Dr Rigby said the medical staff believe Kolodjashnij is making strong progress, and should be available for the first day of the 2018 pre-season.

“Hopefully he’ll be in a position to resume full training and playing next year but we’ll monitor that space over the off-season,” Dr Rigby said.

“He’s been undergoing some test and monitoring him medically, he’s making good progress so we’re very happy.