St Kilda have provided an update on Mason Wood's injury after he was stretchered from the ground on Thursday night against Collingwood.

Going back with the flight, Wood collided with teammate Zaine Cordy, breaking his collarbone and suffering a concussion all in one hit.

The 30-year-old will undergo surgery as fans all turned in a grimace at the nasty collision.

EGM of Football David Mission indicated when Wood might return, saying it could be at least six weeks.

“Obviously you'd prefer your players not get injured at all, but considering the angle and way Mason landed, we could've been dealing with something far more serious," Mission said.

“Mason's set for surgery in the next few hours, which is a great start. He'll now get his rehab started pretty much straight away.

“We'll have a better idea of a return to play timeline after his initial recovery from surgery - we think it'll be around the 6-week mark, but we'll be able to provide a clearer picture early next week.

“If we know anything about Mase it's that he's extremely diligent and professional in how he looks after his body, so we know he'll be doing everything he can to get right and be back on the field as soon as possible.”

Recruit Liam Henry is also a close watch despite being one of the more influential players on the field.

During the last quarter, Henry limped from the field with a hamstring issue and is set for scans.

“We took Liam out of the game towards the end as a precaution,” Misson said.

“This is obviously a terrible blow for Liam, who has impressed in his first two games at the club.

“Liam's setback is far greater than we initially thought, especially given he has never had an injury of this type before.

“At this stage, Liam's return-to-play timeline sits at approximately six to eight weeks.

“The shorter turnaround between games early in the season has presented its challenges, however we have full confidence that Liam will attack his rehab with the same intensity he does on gameday to make himself available as soon as possible.”

More salt is added to the St Kilda wound, despite knocking off the reigning premiers on Thursday night.

Spearhead forward Max King will likely miss next week's clash against Essendon through suspension.

During the fourth quarter, King elected to bump Collingwood midfielder Finaly Macrae with a raised forearm, collecting his neck.

The AFL has handed down a one-match ban to the number 12.

Ross Lyon's men will have an eight-day break before they face the Bombers at Marvel Stadium.