A sickening collision involving two stars of the game has forced GWS into making an early sub change, with key defender Sam Taylor stretchered off the field early into Saturday's match against St Kilda.

A marking contest on the wing saw both Taylor and Saints captain Jack Steele compete for the ball, with both players getting to the contest at speed before colliding.

While Steele was able to get to his feet soon after the collision, Taylor was left on the ground and not moving before gaining immediate medical treatment.

The All-Australian defender was delicately placed onto a stretcher and lifted onto a medi-cab several minutes after, with the treatment of Taylor halting play for an extended period.

The club confirmed Taylor was conscious soon after being taken from the field and will be assessed further at the venue before being taken to hospital.

Both coaches used the break to instruct their playing groups on the sidelines, with GWS bringing tactical sub James Peatling into the game shortly after.

A suspected concussion from the collision would mean Taylor is unavailable to play in the Giants' upcoming clash with Carlton in Round 6 at the very least.

Taylor would be required to follow the AFL's mandated 12-day concussion protocols, with the Giants scheduled to face Brisbane on Anzac Day at the end of that period.

The Giants were able to confirm Taylor avoided any major concerns from the incident following the game.

Unfortunately teammate Stephen Coniglio is expected to miss some time of football after hurting his leg in the final quarter.

Coniglio was twisted in a tackle while trying to dispose of the ball, with Saint Mitch Owens bringing the GWS veteran to the ground as his leg was pinned under him.

Coniglio was seen clutching his knee after the incident and would be assisted off the field in the arms of club trainers.

The Saints also couldn't get through the game unscathed, with star forward Max King suffering a suspected knee injury after a marking contest late into the third quarter.

After leaping for a mark in a packed contest, King landed awkwardly on his leg and struggled to ge to his feet. Following on-field treatment, King was subbed out of the game at the final break.

The Saints could again be without their spearhead, who recently returned from a one-game suspension, when they face the Western Bulldogs at Marvel Stadium in Round 6.

Manuka Oval