Transgender footballer Hannah Mouncey has withdrawn from this year’s AFLW draft.
The 28-year-old removed withdrew from the draft after revealing the self-reporting blood test regime, saying it took a great personal toll.
Mouncey attacked the AFL in an online post last night.
Please follow the next few posts, I won’t be commenting further on it at this stage pic.twitter.com/rUY2iSeC8k
— Hannah Mouncey 🤾♀️ (@HannahMouncey) September 9, 2018
“Essentially, the toll of doing this (blood testing) on my own has ended up being far too great. The AFL has treated me like s***, with every effort made to wear me down to a point where I couldn’t continue,” she said.
“Eventually what has gone on behind the scenes will come out, and it paints a sad picture of an organisation with no leadership, who cares only for its corporate image above all else.
“There are a number of things I can’t risk by continuing this fight, which are far more important than football.”
Mouncey said she had uploaded onto social media all her blood tests from last month to the end of 2015 “to show the reality of where I sit, to show that this is not because I don’t meet there (sic) requirements.”
“To do otherwise, I would have risked constant speculation about that, and possibly being labelled a cheat for being above, which is not something I can live with.”