Is the investigation into Sydney players over an alleged assault case putting the club's season in jeopardy?

Amid the investigation, a four-time premiership player has ruled out the Swans from the 2026 flag race.

And Essendon is expected to hold off on announcing the new senior coach until next week.

All that and more from media buzz...

Swans set for match sanctions

According to a report on Footy Classified, the Sydney players involved in the alleged assault case could miss some football, with the club set to provide an update on Tuesday.

On Channel Seven, there was an indication of a sanction for the final home-and-away game, and one final could be satisfactory.

Bombers to hold coaching announcement

Essendon isn't expected to unveil its new senior coach this week.

Loading matchup…

James Hird, Mark McVeigh, Jaymie Graham and Murray Davis are all vying for the vacancy, but will be told of the club's decision next week.

Hawthorn flag hero rules out Sydney from premiership run

Jordan Lewis believes Sydney will not make a meaningful impact in September this year in the wake of the investigation regarding an alleged assault in Melbourne on Monday.

Up to five players have been involved in the investigation, with indications that some could be stood down a week out from the finals.

“My honest opinion? You put a line through them,” Lewis said on Fox Footy's On The Couch.

“I don't think you can come back (from) an instance of this nature and this serious to then push it to the side and become a premiership team in 2026.

“They're too hard to win, you need everything to go right. But this will be going on in the background … there's still this ongoing investigation that's hanging over the head of everyone that's involved.

“So, from a footballing perspective, 2026 is done.”

Crows coach vulnerable without finals win

Adelaide coach Matthew Nicks' tenure at the Crows could be in jeopardy if the club fails to make a meaningful impact in September.

The Crows bowed out in straight sets last year after claiming the minor premiership, and are expected to miss the top four this season, and may even finish seventh and play in the Wildcard Round.

Demons challenge JVR ban

Melbourne will attempt to downgrade Jacob van Rooyen's three-match suspension for an incident involving Port Adelaide's Aliir Aliir.

The ban, if upheld, will see van Rooyen miss this week, as well as the club's two finals. The Demons will head to the Tribunal on Tuesday.

“It's an unfortunate incident,” Melbourne coach Steven King said on Kayo Sports' AFL 360.

“Firstly, we hope Aliir is well and has recovered okay. But I think there wasn't too much malice in it from Jacob.

“Probably a bit clumsy, but look, we'll let that play out.

“For Jacob, we'd love to see him back out there again this year.

“I think he was really close, if not touching the footy, in a marking contest, and it was just one of those unfortunate events that happened.”

Cats' "strategy of the year" that's not employed by rivals

Geelong showed the AFL competition how to tackle Melbourne ruckman Max Gawn.

The Cats curbed his influence a month ago, and won the crucial clash at the MCG. They provided a successful blueprint, which surprisingly, not many clubs have used.

 

JOIN THE DISCUSSION