VFL Rd 20 - Essendon v Richmond
MELBOURNE, AUSTRALIA - AUGUST 17: A general view with the Melbourne skyline in the background during the round 20 VFL match between the Essendon Bombers and the Richmond Tigers at Windy Hill on August 17, 2019 in Melbourne, Australia. (Photo by Mike Owen/Getty Images)

The 2020 VFL season has been cancelled due to the spike of COVID-19 cases in Victoria.

Melbourne will reenter stage three lockdown for six weeks on Wednesday night, which has forced the VFL’s hand to call off the campaign.

The season was set to resume on August 1 with seven teams after the Casey Demons last week pulled out of this year’s competition.

However, clubs were told on Wednesday that the season has been abandoned.

“We acknowledge this is very disappointing news for the players, coaches, officials, volunteers and fans of the VFL competition and commend every VFL club who has worked tirelessly to ensure a united approach to the outcome of the 2020 season,” the AFL’s head of talent and state league competitions Tristan Salter told AFL Media.

“Following the updated restrictions announced by Victoria State Government yesterday, we explored many scenarios as to how we could still proceed with a condensed season in a non-traditional format.

“Ultimately it provided too great a challenge for all involved.”

The return of the NAB League has also been put in question, which was due to begin on August 22.

AFL Victoria is reportedly working through how to showcase VFL talent later this year to expose them to AFL recruiters ahead of the draft.