Sydney Swans AFLW coach Colin O'Riordan and captain Lucy McEvoy have pleaded with fans to attend Sunday's double header at the SCG.

What was supposed to be a celebration as the first Sydney men's and women's double header has become a nightmare scenario for the club on the back of one of the biggest scandals to have rocked the club.

“As a program, we fully support these sanctions,” O'Riordan told media on Friday after the five players under investigation were stood down by the club and ruled ineligible for All Australian selection.

“I'm looking forward to celebrating these incredible women on Sunday at the SCH and I encourage everyone, all our fans, to turn up and support them because these bunch of women deserve it.

“We touched on how that can be a beacon of light. They can be a beacon to every woman out there who wants to be them and they're huge role models in the community. As Lucy (McEvoy) said, come and support the team, they deserve it.”

McEvoy gave an insight into the discussions that have taken place within the AFLW program and stressed that while severely disappointed in what has occurred, has never felt disrespected during her time at the Swans.

"We know that the actions of those five players are not a reflection of the broader club."

"We've had some really open conversations as a group this week, and with the club more broadly," she said.

"We've felt the support both internally and externally as well.

"The girls are working through their emotions as they see fit for themselves."

Swans' skipper eyeing off potential grand final return
Callum Mills in action. (Photo: Joshua Davis)

McEvoy said she has not been contacted by any of the players who have been stood down. It follows earlier confirmation that men's captain Callum Mills privately apologised to the women's squad earlier in the week.

Mills and Cox fronted Sydney press earlier in the day with coach Dean Cox and denied rifts in the playing group.

Loading matchup…

Mills said he had not witnessed any similar incidents which could have engendered a culture of disrespect while Cox confirmed he was not in the room.

“We believe that the five players have let us down and that we will be doing everything we possibly can to rebuild trust and respect.”

Sydney takes on North Melbourne on Sunday but Cox said football matters had not been considered as the gravity of the situation continues to grip a club in crisis.

JOIN THE DISCUSSION