On top of recording a fourth straight defeat to see their finals chances continue to slide, Carlton could be without a multitude of players for next week's must-win matchup with Melbourne.

Inaccuracies in front of goal cost Michael Voss' side on Friday night at the SCG, falling to Shydney by 26 points despite recording just one less scoring shot for the evening.

To make matters worse, the Blues will be sweating on injuries to captain Patrick Cripps (ankle), rookie Ollie Hollands (shoulder), Nic Newman (hamstring), as well as George Hewett, who will enter concussion protocols and miss the upcoming fixture against Melbourne.

Hewett was subbed out of the match during the second term after suffering a head knock on Newman's shoulder and subsequently the ground, with veteran Ed Curnow brought into the game in the opening half as the tactical sub.

Cripps is set to be assessed early next week as he sweats on an ankle injury sustained late into the loss, while both Newman and Hollands are likely set for extended spells on the sidelines.

Embed from Getty Images

Adding further collateral to the defeat, Carlton will also be awaiting the Match Review Officer's findings from the game following potentially dangerous tackles from both Curnow and midfielder Adam Cerra.

Both Blues players could gain the attention of the MRO for incidents from the second and third quarter respectively.

Just moments after coming into the game, Curnow contested with Sydney's James Rowbottom in a tackle and rotated the young midfielder to bring him to ground. Curnow was penalised with a free kick for a dangerous tackle from the officiating umpire.

It is unclear whether Rowbottom's head hits the ground in the footage of the incident.

Cerra's tackle on Sydney ruckman Tom Hickey saw the Swans tall's head slam into the SCG turf after Cerra turned in his tackle to bring his opponent to the ground. The actions of the tackle could see the former Docker handed a suspension and potentially miss next week's Melbourne clash.

The Swans will also be awaiting the MRO's findings after a dangerous tackle from co-captain Luke Parker on Carlton's Sam Walsh.

The third-term incident is likely to gain some level of scrutiny from the MRO, who will release their findings from Friday's game on Saturday evening.

The result of Sydney's win sees the Swans claim their fifth win of the year and move ahead of Carlton on the ladder, who have now fallen to 12th.

The Blues will go head-to-head with Melbourne at the MCG next Friday, while the Swans will join Brisbane, St Kilda and Fremantle with a bye for Round 12.