Melbourne’s Jack Watts is reportedly set to leave Melbourne during the upcoming trade period, after meeting with Port Adelaide on Wednesday.
The number one draft selection in 2008 has spent nine years at the Demons, but rumours have been mounting recently that the club feel it’s now time to move on to life without the 26-year-old.
Journalist Mitch Cleary broke the news on Sportsday Radio on Wednesday night, suggesting Watts would not be a Demon in 2018.
BREAKING: Jack Watts today met with Port Adelaide, in Adelaide. Two years to run on contract, set to depart Melbourne this off-season
— Mitch Cleary (@cleary_mitch) September 27, 2017
In July, 2016, Watts signed a three-year deal to remain at the Demons, and said it was an easy commitment to make.
“It’s been in the works for quite a while and today (Thursday) was the good day for me. My manager [Paul Connors] and Mahns (Josh Mahoney) came to an agreement and [I’m] super happy, so I can’t wait for the next three years,” Watts told melbournefc.com.au in July last year.
“It’s been a really positive year for the entire club. It’s still really important, these last six weeks, but it’s been a sensational year and that’s why I’m so excited to be here for the next three years.
“You can only see it going up and getting better, so it should be a really bright future for the club.
“I’ve never had too many doubts about staying here at Melbourne to be honest.
“When you form such close bonds with everyone here – your teammates, coaching staff and the supporters, who have been with me through everything for the last seven or eight years – it hasn’t been a smooth ride, that’s for sure.”
The forward has played 153 games for Melbourne since making his debut in round 11, 2009, and has averaged 15.9 disposals and 5.3 marks per game over his career.