SYDNEY, AUSTRALIA - APRIL 11: Sam Weideman of the Demons celebrates kicking a goal during the round four AFL match between the Sydney Swans and the Melbourne Demons at Sydney Cricket Ground on April 11, 2019 in Sydney, Australia. (Photo by Matt King/Getty Images)

Collingwood football boss Graham Wright has flagged a level of interest in out-of-contract Demons forward Sam Weideman.

The 24-year-old has played just five games this season, falling behind in the pecking order to the likes of Ben Brown, Tom McDonald, Luke Jackson and Bayley Fritsch this season as the Demons claimed the minor premiership.

Melbourne have also been linked to Hawthorn spearhead Jack Gunston, raising further questions as to where Weideman's future lies.

RELATED: Magpies defender departs Collingwood

Currently unsigned for next season, the former No.9 draft pick is sure to gain interest from a number of rival clubs looking to bolster their key-forward stocks for the future.

The Kangaroos are understood to have Weideman on their radar, while Wright has stated his club are hoping to add key-forwards to their list for 2022.

Speaking on Sportsday, Wright praised the Demons tall forward, while stating the Magpies' needs for the future.

“He’s an out-of-contract player," he said. "You’re interested in anyone who’s out of contract that can help your football club.

PERTH, AUSTRALIA - SEPTEMBER 22: Sam Weideman of the Demons kicks the ball during the 2018 AFL Second Preliminary Final match between the West Coast Eagles and the Melbourne Demons at Optus Stadium on September 22, 2018 in Perth, Australia. (Photo by Michael Willson/AFL Media/Getty Images)

“He’s a talented young forward.

“At the moment, he’s probably behind two or three that are performing well in a team at the top of the ladder.

“When you finish 17th, you’re after a fair bit.

“We’d like another midfielder, we’d like a couple of small forwards and potentially a couple of key forwards, so we’ve got a lot of spots that we would like to potentially fill."

Despite reportedly facing a 'hangover' from last year's trade period saga, the Magpies are sure to be active this off-season, with a number of key players currently yet to recommit.

While captain Scott Pendlebury assured the magpies faithful his future remains at the Holden Centre, the same can't be said for several senior figures.

Forward/ruck utility Mason Cox faces an uncertain future at the club, with any potential arrival of Weideman's likely placing his position at the Magpies under some concern.

MELBOURNE, AUSTRALIA - JULY 08: Mason Cox of the Magpies celebrates a goal during the 2018 AFL round 16 match between the Essendon Bombers and the Collingwood Magpies at the Melbourne Cricket Ground on July 08, 2018 in Melbourne, Australia. (Photo by Michael Willson/AFL Media/Getty Images)

Wright revealed that the club and Cox have held discussions, however a contract is yet to be offered as the Magpies await to appoint their next senior coach.

“We had a good conversation probably 10 days ago … just to say that we weren’t in a position to offer him a contract right now," Wright added.

“But that doesn’t mean that we won’t.

“We’re waiting until we appoint a senior coach and then that coach having a say and having a look at where it sits from our entire list to be honest."

The Magpies have been linked to a number of young midfielders amid their rebuild, with Bulldog Patrick Lipinski understood to be on Collingwood's radar, while Swan Dylan Stephens is also believed to be gaining interest.

Follow Zero Hanger on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram for more of the latest AFL news.