MELBOURNE, AUSTRALIA - AUGUST 17: Shaun Higgins of the Kangaroos in action during the 2019 AFL round 22 match between the North Melbourne Kangaroos and the Port Adelaide Power at Marvel Stadium on August 17, 2019 in Melbourne, Australia. (Photo by Dylan Burns/AFL Photos via Getty Images)

Geelong are “well placed” to acquire North Melbourne veteran Shaun Higgins, according to 7News’ Tom Browne.

Despite interest from rival clubs including the Cats last year, Higgins signed a two-year extension with the Kangaroos.

However, after North’s disappointing season he could look elsewhere to pursue a premiership.

St Kilda legend Nick Riewoldt has encouraged Higgins to pursue a move to a rival club sitting in the premiership window.

Higgins joined the Roos in 2015 and has won two best and fairests and made the 2018 All Australian team at the club. He was one of only seven players to feature in all 17 of the club’s games this season.

The Herald Sun reported last week that Geelong was yet again aiming to get Higgins down south 12 months after their last attempt at the midfielder fell through.

Fox Sports reporter Tom Morris confirmed on Fox Footy’s On The Couch that Geelong was still keen on Higgins.

Morris said that it would “benefit both parties” if Higgins and North were to part ways at the season’s end.

“(North) would get a good draft pick in return and Higgins will be able to continue his career elsewhere,” Morris told Fox Footy’s On The Couch.

Morris added that it is much more likely Higgins will accept their offer this season as North Melbourne are set to undergo a comprehensive list overhaul after finishing 17th on the ladder.

Riewoldt said that the 32-year-old still had a lot more to offer and he may be more suited at a club where the flag is their only goal in sight.

“I would (recruit Higgins) – and if I was Shaun Higgins, I’d leave too,” Riewoldt told On The Couch on Monday night.

“It’s not like he’s a one-club North Melbourne player, so in a legacy sense there’s not a lot of fabric that would be torn if he left.

“He would also give himself an opportunity to win one (a premiership).”

Johnathan Brown said that North would “get a decent pick for him” if they were willing to trade him off.

I think a contender would be prepared to give a second. You might go to a second-round pick, because he could come in and straight away be a player that could get 25 to 30 possessions and pull opposition teams apart,” Brown said.

North Melbourne have already delisted 11 players from its 2020 side with another eight not being offered another deal for the 2021 season.

One of those is star forward Ben Brown who is attracting attention from multiple other clubs needed a strong target in their forward-line.