Carlton veteran Dale Thomas’ career at the Blues has not quite gone according to plan.
After a big money move from arch rivals Collingwood, Thomas has struggled with form and injury in his four seasons at Princess Park, in which time Carlton has continued to languish down the bottom of the ladder.
The 30-year-old had a trigger clause in contract which would see him earn an automatic contract extension if he played at least 17 games this season. However, his management had that clause removed earlier this season, with many suggesting the Blues would not offer him a new deal at the end of the year.
However, Thomas has dramatically turned his form around of late and has played all but three games this season and has averaged 19 disposals and kicked three goals in the past five weeks.
Carlton CEO Steven Trigg told SEN radio on Wednesday Thomas is heading in the right direction to earn a new deal.
“His performances of late – if the season stopped right now – he’d be in pretty good shape,” Trigg said.
“He’s a positive influence on the group. No problem if he stays sound for the seven weeks, it will be a good conversation.”
Thomas played 157 games, including the 2010 premiership with Collingwood, before moving to Carlton, along with former Magpies’ coach, Mick Malthouse, in 2014. He has played 51 of a possible 81 games for the Blues since joining the club.