While being seen as a potential part in the Power's plans to secure wantaway North Melbourne young gun Jason Horne-Francis this trade period, Port Adelaide's Riley Bonner hasn't met with the Roos despite reports from earlier this week.
The Roos and Power have begun haggling over a trade package that could suit North Melbourne as they come to terms with parting ways with the player they selected atop last year's draft order.
Both of Port Adelaide's first-round picks for this year (currently priced at Pick 8) and next year are seen as necessities to please the Roos, who hold the power in negotiations given Horne-Francis' contract status for next season.
But the pair of selections aren't seen to be enough to persuade the Roos, with talks of a Port Adelaide player perhaps needed to sweeten the offer.
The likes of star duo Todd Marshall and Zak Butters have been raised as potential targets for the Roos, however the pair aren't seen as options for the Power to part ways with.
Victorian products in Josh Sinn, Miles Bergman and Xavier Duursma may also be of interest to the Roos, but it seems South Australian Riley Bonner could be a catalyst in trade discussions to get Horne-Francis to Alberton.
According to a report from 9 News Adelaide, Bonner, who is contracted for 2023, is open to a move to Arden Street.
"Bonner still has a year to go on his current deal and is very settled in South Australia, but is also now open to a move to North Melbourne after meeting with the club today," reporter Josh Money revealed on Tuesday night.
"It could get Jason Horne-Francis in the other direction to Alberton.
Port Adelaide defender Riley Bonner could be the key piece to unlocking the trade to get Jason Horne-Francis to Alberton next season. @joshmoney__ #9News pic.twitter.com/lF7SSKEtzC
— 9News Adelaide (@9NewsAdel) October 4, 2022
"Bonner played 17 games for Port Adelaide this year, but many of those as a medi sub as he fell out of favour with coach Ken Hinkley, and as we said, is now considering a potential move interstate."
However, Bonner's manager Dave Trotter revealed on Trade Radio on Wednesday that his client and the Kangaroos are yet to have met, despite reports suggesting the two parties were in discussions.
"It was reported categorically yesterday that he had sat down with North Melbourne officials. Hadn't spoken to North about him once," Trotter said.
"Brady (Rawlings, North Melbourne list and recruiting manager) actually rang me this morning and we were having a laugh about how it could get reported so categorically and we had not spoken. I hadn't spoken to 'Brades' in a couple of weeks."
Bonner has played 82 games for the Power since making his debut in 2016, commonly as a half-back flanker.
The 25-year-old still could be added to Pick 8 and Port's future first-round selection in trade discussions, however the Roos may be wanting a more formidable asset should they be gaining personnel in return for Horne-Francis.