MELBOURNE, AUSTRALIA - SEPTEMBER 27: Brian Lake of the Hawks celebrates with the Premeirship Cup during the 2014 AFL Grand Final match between the Sydney Swans and the Hawthorn Hawks at Melbourne Cricket Ground on September 27, 2014 in Melbourne, Australia. (Photo by Quinn Rooney/Getty Images)

Norm Smith medallist and three-time Premiership player Brian Lake has been banned from playing football at all levels, according to the Herald Sun.

A two-week suspension resulted from a striking charge saw the former Hawk and Bulldog tipped over the suspension threshold of 16 weeks for local players and officials.

Lake had kicked four goals and was named in the best players for Western Region Football League club Caroline Springs during its win over Sunshine on Saturday, writes the Herald Sun.

On his Instagram, Lake posted a photo of a letter with the caption “Tag a mate that’s had a worse 12 months than me! #lawnbowlsnow.”

The letter consisted of the information regarding the deregistration of Lake. He is now unable to play footy at any level for more than 12 months.

The 37-year-old, who has played 32 games for Caroline Springs since 2015, told the Herald Sun he would consider his options.

Similar to Lake, former Collingwood player Brodie Holland also reached the suspension threshold and has been deregistered in past weeks.

He will not be able to return to football at any level until May 26 2020.

If Lake wishes to continue his football career, he must “appeal” for registration to AFL Victoria, according to the Herald Sun.

Aside from the deregistration, Lake’s last 12 months has consisted of a week being spent in a Japanese prison after allegedly having an altercation in an AFL Asia tournament as well as being found guilty of offences including stalking, trespassing and property damage in recent times.

At the beginning of the year, Lake sought medical help at a clinic.

Only last month was Lake released from the Sunshine Magistrates Court after spending two nights in custody after a violent incident at a home in Melbourne’s west.

The former AFL player went to a woman’s house after reading a text message which read: “I’m sick of this life”.

Lake tried contacting the woman but it was to no avail. His lawyer told Magistrate Jennifer Grubissa that this interaction prompted Lake to go to the woman’s house, but admitted it was “no excuse for his behaviour” which was aggressive, according to the Herald Sun.

He handed himself into police the day after the incident and barely gave comments and made no admissions, court documents revealed.

Lake was charged with stalking, theft, criminal damage, breaching the peace and committing an offence while out on bail.