Essendon have added former Geelong midfielder Quinton Narkle to their VFL list, with the 25-year-old to take also take on an off-field role with the Bombers.

Narkle makes the move to Tullamarine weeks after his pre-season stint with Richmond came to a close, with the ex-Cat training for the last remaining list spot at Punt Road.

Geelong cut ties with the Western Australian after five seasons and 41 games at the end of last year, forcing Narkle into the open market.

While a decision to return to his home state was seen to be on the cards as his spell with the Tigers came to a close, Narkle has instead opted to remain in Victoria as he looks to keep his career alive.

On Tuesday Essendon confirmed Narkle would join the club's VFL program for 2023, while also taking on player development manager position at The Hangar.

“It's great that I will be able to provide input in this space,” he said in a club statement.

“For myself, being able to help guide the younger boys is something that I am really looking forward to doing.”

As for his on-field contributions, Narkle said he is excited to get his teeth stuck into his new venture in the red sash.

“Fortunately, I have had the opportunity to spend time in the AFL system, which I hope will allow me to hit the ground running with the VFL program,” Narkle said.

“I am really excited to get stuck in and get to know all the boys well.

“I am prepared to work hard and provide the group with everything I have got.”

GOLD COAST, AUSTRALIA - AUGUST 18: (L-R) Brandan Parfitt, Quinton Narkle and Blake Schlensog pose during a media opportunity at Main Beach on August 18, 2020 in Gold Coast, Australia. (Photo by Matt Roberts/Getty Images)

The addition of Narkle adds to an impressive off-season haul for the Bombers' reserves, having added ex-AFL du Tom Phillips and Brad Lynch, along with SSP triallist Jack Cleaver for the year ahead.

Leigh Tudor's side will begin their new campaign against GWS on Sunday, March 26 at home.