MELBOURNE, AUSTRALIA - JANUARY 08: Jobe Watson of the Bombers marks the ball during an Essendon Bombers AFL pre-season training session at True Value Solar Centre on January 8, 2016 in Melbourne, Australia. (Photo by Michael Dodge/Getty Images)

The 17 current and former banned Essendon players on an AFL list in 2016 are set to train as a group this week…but the session will not be led by Mick Malthouse.

Western Bulldogs coach Luke Beveridge revealed yesterday that Stewart Crameri, along with the other 16 banned players currently on an AFL list, will train together this week.

“We’re just trying to mobilise a third party to get something going for Stewy, which we can’t really impact on,” Beveridge said.

“It appears they’re going to have their first session later on in the week, so there’s something happening and Stewy’s keen to maintain his fitness base and get ready for the possibility that he might rejoin us if the appeal’s successful.”

SEE ALSO:  REPORTS: Newly formed Indigenous Players Association threatens to break away from current AFLPA model

But Beveridge said Mick Malthouse, who last week flagged his interest in training the banned players, would not be taking the session.

“The players are making that choice and I think that’s driven by the Essendon boys, so whatever they decide will happen and we can’t really influence,” the Dogs’ coach said.

“Stewy’s really keen to get involved in it and they’ll be able to train together as group because you need people to kick the footy with.”