SYDNEY, AUSTRALIA - FEBRUARY 21: Former Swans player, Barry Hall speaks on stage after being inducted into the Sydney Swans Hall of Fame during the Sydney Swans AFL guernsey presentation and Hall of Fame induction ceremony at The Star on February 21, 2014 in Sydney, Australia. (Photo by Brendon Thorne/Getty Images)

Triple M host Damian Barrett has spoken about the controversial comments by fellow football commentator Barry Hall during last week’s Friday night football broadcast.

Hall was sacked from his role following crude remarks regarding colleague Leigh Montagna’s wife’s pregnancy.

Following the incident, the focus was placed on Triple M’s other commentators who listeners felt didn’t do enough to end the conversation immediately.

Speaking on the The Sounding Board podcast, Barrett mentioned that the conversation “got to a point where it needed straightening up,” Barrett said.

“It got way too descriptive.”

Barrett admitted the Triple M commentary team “missed the moment” with regards to Hall’s remarks but did note that the broadcaster jumped in almost immediately.

“Within minutes there was an on-air apology,” he said.

“It took about 40 minutes before management made the decision (to sack Hall).

“Texts were going into overdrive and calls were being made on air.”

Triple M has been attacked by the media in the past for being one big “boys club” in previous years, and many listeners have commented that the Hall incident is illustrative of this culture.

Barrett has stressed that the broadcaster has taken measures to lessen this reputation and improve its conduct.

“I would like to say – and it may sound really hollow – but we have fixed ourselves up, and we had until the madness of that conversation that went off the cliff last Friday night.” he said.