Port Adelaide have responded to their hefty defeat to Geelong last week with another shock call at the selection table, axing promising youngster Xavier Duursma.
It comes off the back of an eight-disposal game against the Cats last Friday night - with Port coach Ken Hinkley making it clear on where the 20-year old stands.
“He’s not being rested…Xavier’s lost his place in the side,” Hinkley told reporters on Friday.
— AFL (@AFL) August 25, 2019
Duursma’s omission hasn’t been the only shock call selection the Power have made this season, dropping ball magnet Tom Rockliff and promising defender Riley Bonner ahead of their Round 6 clash against the Giants earlier in the year.
Port Adelaide are also expected to drop Kane Farrell ahead of their clash with Hawthorn on Saturday.
“It’s pretty simple, it’s no different to any player. They’ve got to play their roles well and play to a level that we know they can play it,”
“Xavier has been fantastic for us since the day he walked into the club and Kane’s an emerging young player. We’re really excited by both players’ futures.”
The Power will also be without ruckman Peter Ladhams and midfielder Dan Houston after the pair were suspended for three and two weeks respectively for breaching COVID-19 protocols during the week.
Both players entertained visitors at Ladhams’ house after the Round 10 win over the Western Bulldogs, with the club receiving a $50,000 sanction, with half of it suspended.
“I’m incredibly disappointed, frustrated and angry,” Hinkley said.
“They made a mistake, they know they made a mistake and it’s an unacceptable mistake.”
The Power are expected to recall Bonner to the team along with Justin Westhoff, Brad Ebert and Jarrod Lienert.