PERTH, AUSTRALIA - JULY 15: Jared Polec of the Power passes the ball during the round 17 AFL match between the Fremantle Dockers and the Port Adelaide Power at Optus Stadium on July 15, 2018 in Perth, Australia. (Photo by Paul Kane/Getty Images)

Out-of-contract wingman Jared Polec is the subject of a bidding war, seemingly destined to succumb to North Melbourne’s tempting five-year, $3.5 million offer.

Port Adelaide are yet to decide whether to counter the Roos’ advances on the midfielder with extra seasons to the current contract offer, or a monetary bonus to narrow a $2 million gap which their current salary cap allows for.

The Power reportedly have no issue with Polec considering his options according to Port Adelaide football chief Chris Davies.

“Players have the right to negotiate in a professional competition; it is about their livelihoods,” Davies told The Advertiser.

“We are still working with Jared and his management as to what 2019 looks like.

“Jared looks like he wants to stay with the footy club. So this will go back and forth …”

The primo midfielder has four current suitors – North Melbourne, St Kilda, Sydney and Carlton, though the Roos reign supreme as trade frontrunners.

The star told The Advertiser last month his loyalty lies with Power: ““I love Port Adelaide. I’ve always been a Port Adelaide fan. Hopefully, something will get done (before the finals).”

Polec’s position with Power now depends on the price suitors are willing to pay to poach him for good; only time will tell whether $2 million is enough.