MELBOURNE, VICTORIA - JULY 15: Jordan De Goey of the Magpies celebrates a goal during the round 17 AFL match between the Collingwood Magpies and the West Coast Eagles at Melbourne Cricket Ground on July 15, 2018 in Melbourne, Australia. (Photo by Darrian Traynor/AFL Media/Getty Images)

Collingwood coach Nathan Buckley has provided an injury update on star forward Jordan De Goey, suggesting the club have been more than conservative with his injury.

De Goey missed the Pies’ clash with Richmond on the weekend and has been ruled out of his side’s trip to Sydney to face the Swans this Saturday, although Buckley told Gerard Whateley on SEN’s Whateley the Pies are being extra cautious with the 22-year-old.

“We’ll assess that after this weekend,” Buckley told SEN’s Whateley.

“Our initial plan was to have him back and we were proactive in resting him.

“He could have played but we just don’t know what the repercussions of playing last week and this week would have been.

“The worst case scenario was pretty bad so we take the hit early and see if we can get him up for the back end.”

The Pies have three games remaining following their trip to Sydney plus the pre-finals bye, meaning De Goey has five weeks to recover before Collingwood’s first final.