MELBOURNE, AUSTRALIA - AUGUST 12: Daniel Hannebery of the Swans celebrates a goal during the round 21 AFL match between the Melbourne Demons and the Sydney Swans at Melbourne Cricket Ground on August 12, 2018 in Melbourne, Australia. (Photo by Michael Dodge/Getty Images)

If St Kilda want to secure Sydney Swan Dan Hannebery, they would have to give up their first-round draft pick, either pick three, four or five in order to do so, as reported by the Herald Sun. 

According to familiar figures in this negotiation and under the potential trade system, the Saints would receive back the Swans first-round pick, which is currently number 13.

Sydney could bargain with St Kilda for something even sweeter such as a future pick, given the Saints estimate that Hannebery is reportedly worth a multi-year contract until 2022 or 2023.

St Kilda currently hold pick number four, but that could all change given results in the final two rounds as well as compensation for Gold Coast forward Tom Lynch.

With finals footy fast approaching, Sydney have been quick to put a stop to Hannebery talks as footy boss Tom Harley told SEN yesterday: “He’s contracted from our end and certainly hasn’t asked for a trade”.

Hannebery returned for the Swans last week against Melbourne after spending five weeks on the sidelines with a calf injury, where he finished with 26 disposals and a goal to his name.

Speaking before the game, coach John Longmire said he’d rather not focus on a player who is still contracted to them.

SEE ALSO:  Polec prepared for criticism following North move

“We understand what different clubs have got with what they’re about, but for us he’s contracted for three more years and we’re really keen for him to play well (on Sunday),” Longmire said.

St Kilda’s leadership group will together discuss the impact Hannebery, as well as other possible targets on the Saints list, could have on the club before providing feedback to football chiefs, including Simon Lethlean.

Lethlean has publicly stated the clubs interest in Hannebery with Harley, as well as discussing with other free agents in Daniel Menzel (Geelong) and Jordan Roughead (Western Bulldogs).

The Herald Sun reports Lethlean said last week if the club gets an inkling Hannebery is prepared to leave Sydney, they’ll certainly talk to him.

“(Hannebery’s) a person I know pretty well, so I’m able to have frank conversations with him at the right time,” Lethlean said.

“We’ll have to do strong due diligence on his medical fitness, he’ll want to do strong due diligence about our fitness as a club to cater for him and for him to play here.

“I’ve certainly spoken to his management. We certainly approached Tom Harley to have that discussion before we would talk any player, as I would hope other clubs would do with us.”