MELBOURNE, AUSTRALIA - JULY 21: Sam Murray of the Magpies fends off Luke Davies-Uniacke of the Kangaroos during the 2018 AFL round 18 match between the Collingwood Magpies and the North Melbourne Kangaroos at the Melbourne Cricket Ground on July 21, 2018 in Melbourne, Australia. (Photo by Michael Willson/AFL Media/Getty Images)

Delisted Collingwood backman Sam Murray’s agent Nick Gieschen has spoken of his client’s “desperate” efforts to find a new home after being cut by the Magpies.

Murray, 22, played 13 games for the Pies before being hit with an 18-month ineligibility period by ASADA after returning a positive cocaine sample.

The half-back will be eligible to play from the start of the 2020 season onwards, and Gieschen spoke to AFL Trade Radio on Tuesday to spruik the work of his client to return to the fore at senior level.

“In terms of his plans for next year, he has been training really hard the last couple of months and especially getting the good news he got a month or two ago regarding the ban,” Gieschen said.

“He would love to continue playing footy at the highest level, so he will do everything he can over the next four to six weeks to hopefully have some conversations and make that happen.”

Murray’s delisting is the only unforced list change confirmed by Collingwood so far, with the retirements of Tyson Goldsack and Daniel Wells making up their other departures to date.

“Sam has been really proactive in getting on the front foot to contact a few clubs to ask about an opportunity or…tell his side of the story and offer to be as honest and transparent as he can regarding the circumstances,” Gieschen said.

“He is desperate to get back and play footy at the highest level.”