Fox Sports’ Tom Morris is also reporting that the pair returned negative tests. It marks the second negative test for McKenna, while Stewart is yet to test positive.
The Bombers’ clash with Melbourne was postponed over the weekend after McKenna recorded a positive test. All other Essendon players and staff subsequently tested negative.
Following an investigation from health officials, Stewart was the only other Essendon player deemed to have made close contact with McKenna, with the pair going into a two-week quarantine.
However, in good news for the Bombers, they have both recorded negative tests today.
“I can confirm that Conor McKenna and James Stewart have both tested negative again,” Dons great Watson said on SEN Breakfast.
“This was a test that was taken yesterday and the results this morning have come through negative again.
“It’s important to remember this, Conor tested positive on Friday and Saturday, now since then they’ve all been negative tests. He’s had two tests that have come back negative.
“At this stage everybody is still working with the DHHS (Department of Health and Human Services) and I guess Essendon will be trying to negotiate whether they can be released from their 14 days of isolation but that’s yet to be determined.”
Stewart is required to enter two negative tests to return to training, but Watson is not sure if these rules will apply to McKenna.
“He (McKenna) has already had two negative tests but that’s still to be determined. I don’t know whether or not that’s going to be the case,” Watson said.
Stewart’s manager Peter Jess told the Herald Sun that he will push to have the big man come out of quarantine.
“I am struggling to understand why it would be necessary for him to be isolated if he has tested negative under Sutton’s protocols,” he said.
The club’s clash with Melbourne will now be squeezed into the upcoming fixture, while they play Carlton this Saturday night at the MCG at 7.40pm (AEST).