Port Adelaide set to retain one of its stars.
The AFL will hand down prize money for the clubs involved in the Wildcard Round.
And St Kilda is believed to have reached out to a star Sun.
All that and more from media buzz...
Power on as star forward set to stay
Port Adelaide gun Mitch Georgiades is quickly becoming a hot commodity ahead of a huge contract call next year, but in good news for the Power, he's set to stay.
Georgiades has links to his home state in Western Australia, but was also revealed to have been pitched by Geelong in its pursuit of Zak Butters.
According to AFL Media, the star forward is on the verge of agreeing to a two-year deal, taking him to free agency.
Wildcard Round money
The AFL has told clubs they will secure $55,000 even for losing a Wildcard Round final, reinforcing the pair of clashes as genuine finals clashes.
The losers, who finish 9th and 10th after the Wildcard Round weekend, will receive the lump sum, while the teams who win but bundle out in the elimination final will be handed $75,000, up from last year's $65,000.
According to the Herald Sun, the premiers will take home $1.1 million, and the grand final losers will receive $600,000.
Preliminary finalists get $300,000 while the teams who finish fifth and sixth get $100,000 in prize money.
Saints wanted a Sun
St Kilda is understood to have reached out to Gold Coast midfielder Matt Rowell amid a difficult year for the Suns.
The reigning Brownlow Medallist was hot property last year, before signing a two-year deal until the end of 2027.
The Saints were among a host of clubs attempting to lure Rowell to Victoria, and even tried again this year, although according to the Herald Sun, talks didn't progress.
Former Crow suing Fox Sports, AFL over genitals exposure
Ex-Crow Ricky Henderson is suing the AFL, Fox Sports for more than $1.2 million over a 2013 incident when his genitals were aired on live television.
The incident occurred on April 6, 2013, with Henderson alleging he was recorded in the change rooms of the Gabba at half-time as he stepped away to adjust his shorts.
The lawsuit has been lodged in South Australia's District Court, with the winger claiming $1,213,867 in damages on the basis that the incident was a breach of confidence, an invasion of privacy, and negligence, according to the ABC.
Henderson alleges, in a statement of claim filed with the court, that the "unauthorised use of the footage by way of the broadcast" caused "extreme embarrassment and hurt" as well as "a diagnosable mental illness".
The document indicated Henderson subsequently developed "acute stress disorder, which developed into a chronic post-traumatic stress disorder" according to the document.
Fox Sports, in a court document, claimed the footage wasn't captured in the changerooms: "Rather, the footage was captured in the 'kicking room' which is a public warm-up area attended by players, coaches, trainers, medical staff and members of the public, including media," the defence statement said.
The 7 Carlton coaching questions Fraser answered
Carlton officially unveiled Josh Fraser as its next senior coach after a stellar interim tenure, taking the club from 1-8 to securing a spot in the finals.
But how did he win the role? Fraser answered the following questions.
- Explain coaching philosophy
- How you plan to educate players and track development
- Examples of developing people in your team and yourself
- Discuss your values and beliefs as a person
- Share opinion of Carlton list
- How will Carlton's game style develop into the future?
- What would be your priorities in the first three months?
.@CalTwomey reveals the seven questions Josh Fraser answered to win the Carlton coaching role.#9FootyClassified | Watch on 9 & 9Now 🖥️ pic.twitter.com/EIIUjTFtsg
— Footy on Nine (@FootyonNine) August 18, 2026
Demons cut ties with another major sponsor
Melbourne and major sponsor Driver Depot have ended their relationship.
The Demons and Zurich are coming to the end of their agreement, and now Driver Depot will join them out the door, with a Channel Seven report suggesting the sponsor was unable to come up with sponsorship funds.
"DriversDepot have not been able to come up with the sponsorship funds."
Melbourne has terminated its contract with DriversDepot, per Caroline Wilson. pic.twitter.com/S3GRbxm4gx
— 7AFL (@7AFL) August 18, 2026

























