Carlton forward Jack Silvagni is expected to "put his hand up" for a return against Melbourne on Friday as he looks to tick off the final stages of his recovery from a knee injury.

The Blues forward last played in Round 19 against West Coast - an encounter that saw the 25-year-old subbed off with an ailment that would require an arthroscope following a diagnosis of a knee sprain.

Silvagni managed to avoid significant damage to his leg and has been sidelined since, however a comeback could be confirmed for next week's semi-final against the Demons as he looks to build his training loads.

The medium-sized forward cemented his place under Michael Voss prior to the setback and could come back into the starting 22 as Harry McKay prepares to make way following a concussion sustained in Carlton's thrilling Elimination Final win over Sydney.

Silvagni took part in a larger training session on Saturday and is now expected to link up with the main group over the coming days to prove his fitness for week two of the post-season.

Teammate Sam Walsh said Silvagni has been diligent in his rehab process to give himself a strong chance of playing in the semi-final.

"Yeah I think he had a session yesterday that's usually for game load," Walsh said of Silvagni's progress when speaking to reporters on Sunday.

MELBOURNE, AUSTRALIA - JULY 15: Jack Silvagni of the Blues handballs during the 2023 AFL Round 18 match between the Carlton Blues and the Port Adelaide Power at Marvel Stadium on July 15, 2023 in Melbourne, Australia. (Photo by Morgan Hancock/AFL Photos via Getty Images)

"If you pull up well from that I think you're in a position to train for the rest of the week and put your hand up for selection.

"We've seen what he was able to do before he had his knee injury. He was in a really good space in being able to impact up the ground and in the ruck, which is a tough role to do.

"I think he will definitely be one to put his hand up."

McKay's absence will likely see the Blues pivot in their forward plans, with Tom De Koning potentially taking on more of an attacking role while still supporting Marc Pittonet, with Silvagni to be part of a three-pronged attack along with Coleman Medal winner Charlie Curnow.

The Blues' smaller threats were lively against the Swans, with Matt Owies, Jack Martin and Matt Cotrrell all standing tall to help secure the one-goal win at the MCG.

Walsh, who was one of Carlton's best performers against the Swans, said his side will be well-placed against the Demons no matter what route the club's selection committee takes.

"Even on the weekend, we played the two rucks and you've got Tom De Koning who had some important moments late in the game playing as a forward," Walsh said.

"We've still got the capacity to go taller or smaller depending on what the coaches want to do.

MELBOURNE, AUSTRALIA - AUGUST 12: Max Gawn of the Demons and Tom De Koning of the Blues contest the ruck during the round 22 AFL match between Carlton Blues and Melbourne Demons at Melbourne Cricket Ground, on August 12, 2023, in Melbourne, Australia. (Photo by Daniel Pockett/Getty Images)

"‘Vossy' spoke in the presser or even to us last week that it's a squad that wins finals, not just a team of 22. I think that'll shine out this week if we can get the guys to step up."

Martin has been with with a two-game suspension for string Sydney's Nick Blakey, with the charge to be challenged at the AFL Tribunal in the coming days.

While hopeful Martin will be freed to play, Walsh has backed any of Carlton's reinforcements to bring the same intensity should they get a recall.

Small forward Jesse Motlop looms as the leading name to secure a starting role after being deployed as the tactical sub against Sydney, while Corey Durdin, Zac Fisher, Ollie Hollands and Matt Kennedy are all on standby.

"'Marto' has been in great form. Just one of those guys in the air and on the ground that you can just reply on," Walsh said.

"Hopefully we can get the result we want out of (a potential Tribunal challenge). We've just got to take it as it comes.

MELBOURNE, AUSTRALIA - SEPTEMBER 08: Jack Martin of the Blues celebrates a goal during the 2023 AFL First Elimination Final match between the Carlton Blues and the Sydney Swans at Melbourne Cricket Ground on September 08, 2023 in Melbourne, Australia. (Photo by Michael Willson/AFL Photos via Getty Images)

"There'll be a handful of guys, if not more, that will put their hand up for that role. I'm sure training will have that intensity about it, which is what we need."

The Blues notched up a four-point win over Melbourne in their last meeting - a thrilling Round 22 affair at the MCG last month.

The Demons fell agonisingly close to booking a hoe preliminary final, falling to Collingwood on Thursday by seven points despite dominating the inside 50 count.

Walsh backed the Blues to extend their September run if they can focus and flex their strengths against the 2021 premiers.

"They're obviously a super strong side. Watching that game, their ability in the contest, they obviously had a lot of inside 50s," the Blues onballer said,

"We had a close battle with them last time around and we expect the same again. The biggest thing is not worrying too much about the opposition, because we know if we bring the footy that we're capable of playing that it's hard to beat."

Carlton and Melbourne will meet at the MCG at 7:50pm (AEST) on Friday night, with the winner to face Brisbane at the Gabba in a preliminary final.