After the siren victories are the best of its kind in the AFL, but games that are won just before the siren sounded are just as memorable. As are games that are nearly won but the siren beat them to it.

Beaten by the bell...

Courtney Dempsey vs Sydney, 2012

An occasion where the player played on after marking right before the siren, Courtenay Dempsey's final siren blunder is one he, and Essendon supporters, will never forget.

The Bombers trailed by 47 points at three-quarter time, and looked to be making one of the greatest comebacks with a nine-goal to two final quarter to bring the margin within a kick.

In one final roll of the dice, the Bombers had control of the ball with the final kick leading to a Dempsey mark on the 50-metre line a second before the siren.

However, having moved off his mark and subsequently playing on at the exact time the siren went, the Bombers defender surrendered his chance to win the game.

Luke Breust vs Essendon, 2015

Another saved by the siren moment involving the Bombers, however this time in their favour.

In a Round 2 clash between Hawthorn and Essendon, the Hawks trailed by two-points with 15 seconds left. The Hawks won the ball from a throw in and the push was on.

With just three-seconds left, Cyril Rioli kicked the ball inside-50, for no mark, but it was brought to ground, where Luke Breust found himself running to an open goal.

It was too late. The siren had sounded right before Breust got foot to ball.

The Bombers, after two years of heartache, recorded an upset victory over the back-to-back premiers.

Luke Power marks after siren vs St Kilda, 2003

Yet another game where a back-to-back premier faced upset that also had a tight, heartbreaking finish.

St Kilda found themselves five points in front with 20 seconds left after leading by 32 points early in the second half.

Brisbane had kicked four goals to none to bring it back to less than a kick, and had possession after a Saints behind.

Embed from Getty Images

The Lions took it coast to coast, but the siren would sound while the ball was mid-air and heading toward Luke Power.

The Saints held on to record the upset victory over the back-to-back premiers.

As the Saints players celebrated, Power booted the ball through the goals anyway, to show what could have been.

And vice-versa...

Brodie Grundy goal vs Richmond, 2016

While the siren did not sound immediately after this goal, Collingwood still stole the game, with four seconds remaining and effectively sealing the victory.

With 20 seconds remaining, the Pies were awarded a free kick for a deliberate handball out of bounds. With the Tigers up by five, this was the Pies' last chance.

Darcy Moore would take it, setting up for a mark. The ball was brought to ground where Grundy would grab and hack the loose ball to kick a goal, and win the game by one point.

This was a moment of jubilation for the Pies faithful after having suffered a poor start to the season where they lost Dane Swan and Steele Sidebottom in an 80-point defeat to Sydney and became embroiled in an illicit drugs controversy.

Nic Naitanui goal vs GWS 2016

Another one-point victory, and in the same year as Grundy's, as a result of a 'buzzer beater'.

This time it was Nic Naitanui and the West Coast Eagles.

With just eight seconds to go, the Eagles trailed by five against the GWS Giants. It would take something remarkable to win the game, and it did.

Naitanui competed in the ruck contest for a throw in, where Giant Shane Mumford hit the ball to ground. Naitanui then won a hard ball on the turf and snapped a remarkable goal off his left boot to seal the victory.

The siren would sound as the goal umpire signalled for the goal.

Leo Barry mark vs Eagles 2005 GF

"Cox throws it onto the last roll of the dice for the Eagles... Leo Barry, you star!

"Siren! The longest premiership drought in football history is over!" - Stephen Quartermain, 2005.

One of the greatest moments in AFL history, and perhaps the best 'buzzer beater' ever given the circumstances.

MELBOURNE, AUSTRALIA - SEPTEMBER 24: Leo Barry of the Swans takes a crucial mark in the dying seconds during the 2005 AFL Grand Final between the Sydney Swans and the West Coast Eagles at the Melbourne Cricket Ground September 24, 2005 in Melbourne, Australia. (Photo by Mark Dadswell/Getty Images)

Just seconds remaining in the 2005 AFL Grand Final, Sydney led West Coast by just four points.

The Eagles had one last chance ,with Cox taking an intercept mark off a Leo Barry kick 70 metres from goal.

Cox's kick would lead to a massive pack of Eagles and Swans players, with non other than Barry coming in from the side to intercept and take the match-winning mark.

The siren would sound seconds later and like Quartermain said on commentary, the longest premiership drought was over.