Wells was offered a one-year contract extension by the Roos earlier this year, which has since improved to a two-year deal. However, he is yet to commit to the club, as he seriously considers a “strong push” from Collingwood, according the The Age.
Wells, 31, enjoyed a relatively injury free 2016, playing 19 games and averaging 23.1 disposals.
The Kangaroos said farewell to Brent Harvey, Drew Petrie, Michael Firrito and Nick Dal Santo on Saturday night, when Brad Scott’s men bowed out of the finals after a 62-point loss to the Crows in the elimination final, as the club embarks on drastic revamp of its list.
Collingwood is also understood to be interested in outgoing Roo Nick Dal Santo, while Magpies defender Nathan Brown could find himself going the other way, with North Melbourne said to be keen to bring the 2010 premiership player to Arden Street.