MELBOURNE, VICTORIA - SEPTEMBER 29: Magpies head coach Nathan Buckley look dejected after defeat after their defeat during the 2018 AFL Grand Final match between the Collingwood Magpies and the West Coast Eagles at Melbourne Cricket Ground on September 29, 2018 in Melbourne, Australia. (Photo by Michael Dodge/AFL Media/Getty Images)

Collingwood coach Nathan Buckley is set to pen a new two-year deal with the club, per AFL.com.au.

The former Brownlow medallist was under threat of being sacked 18 months ago after a turbulent few seasons led to a full-scale review of the club.

However, Buckley was ultimately handed an extension until the end of 2019 and after steering the club to a Grand Final appearance last year, a new deal is imminent.

“I think ‘Ned’ (manager Craig Kelly) has had preliminary conversations (with the club),” Buckley told AFL.com.au.

“I don’t think there’s any value in leaving it later in the year.

“I love the club, I still want to be there, and I get the sense they’re pretty happy for me to continue in due course.”

Buckley explained that results were the most significant measurement and the club can’t rely on replicating it’s breakout 2018 campaign.

“We might be in the same circumstance in 12 months, regardless of whether things go well or poorly,” he said.

“In the end, it’s only what’s best for the footy club.

“Those things are really internal issues that will be dealt with internally and the importance of them otherwise is something that’s generally a product of the external focus.

“There’s plenty of people who have been re-contracted in our organisation in the last six months and will be in the next six months.

“If it’s me, then I’ll be one of them.”