Adelaide midfielder Dean Gore was penalised under the new rule for touching the ball before the ruckmen got to it, but Gore has his back to the boundary line and was instead hit in the head by a short throw-in.
Jack Ziebell also had a free kick paid against him under the new interpretation, with the AFL on Monday announcing that it would see advice from clubs as to where to go from here with the new rule change.
Longmire has thrown his support behind the rule change and said that the Gore incident was an unusual one, and believes there’s no reason to get carried away with another rule change just yet.
“Let’s not be too knee-jerk in our reactions just because we had a couple of incidents on the weekend,” he said.
“Certainly it’s worth talking about what happened last week, but the AFL will work through that and work out something that makes sense and we’ll get through it ok.
“There’s been a lot of boundary throw-ins over the first few rounds and we haven’t had too many incidents like that, but it’s a bit different so people jump up and down about it.
“Let’s just take a deep breath and think about what can be done if that happens again, and it will.”
Longmire supports the rule because he believes it benefits the ruckman’s safety and welfare, citing an incident with Kurt Tippett in last season’s qualifying final as an example of what the rule is trying to stamp out.
“Having played in the ruck myself and being in a position where you don’t know where the third man is coming from, you can leave yourself in a vulnerable position,” Longmire said.
“I mean ‘Tippo’ (Kurt Tippett) had his jaw broken in two places last year by the third man coming in.
“It’s really difficult for the umpires to adjudicate just what is a block or a free kick to the ruckman, and it’s different to a marking contest because you can control it.
“Anything that we can control that adds to the welfare and safety of the players is something we should consider.”