Lake went through an elaborate apology process to the victim, which included a video message from his wife and kids expressing their remorse.
The triple-premiership winning Hawk is likely to be released on Friday after spending five nights in the Japanese jail. It was a process that could have taken up to 23 days if not for the help of lawyers organised by AFL Asia football president Matt Gale.
Gale told the Herald Sun that Lake was expected to be released on Friday once the appropriate paperwork has been completed by lawyers.
The Norm Smith medallist has recently gone through a turbulent few months, separating for his wife and and leaving a host employers, including Fox Footy.
The 36-year old had just finished shooting Australian Survivor and lost a stunning 20kg over the two-month period, before heading to Bali and then particpating in the AFL Asia tournament in Osaka.
It is understood that Lake was involved in a drunken fight with a local on Saturday night, started by the former Bulldog and Hawk. He was put in a tiny cell after his indiscretion and fed a small bowl of rice three times a day.
“He is going through a lot in his life. He’s one of those players who have struggled at times to fill that void (left by football),” Cooney told SEN on Wednesday.
“Contrary to popular belief, he actually loved the game and was a bit of a footy-head. He did some stuff with Fox (Footy) last year, and then was sort of working full-time to start this year. “I think he has sort of struggled in the first half of this year to fill that void of being away from the footy limelight.
“There’s also been a couple of articles with his personal life — things are strained there and some other stuff happening at home in Adelaide.
“He’s probably at his most stressful point in his life that he’s ever been over the last six to eight weeks. No excuse whatsoever … but I’m feeling pretty sorry for him.”