Hawthorn president Jeff Kennett to step down from his post at end of the season, as reported by The Herald Sun.
The 71-year old is in his second term with the Hawks, originally serving from 2005-2011 before stepping back into the role in 2017.
He told The Herald Sun on Wednesday that it was time he moved on the club and others to take it forward.
“I’ve informed the board, so yes, this will be my last year as president,” Kennett said.
“I never intended to come back but I was asked to by the board because of what had happened with the mess up over the former CEO (Tracey Gaudry) and to re-right the ship.
“I will have done nine years (over two terms) and I only intended ever to do six.
“It’s time for others to continue to build.”
Kennett doubled down on his criticism towards AFL football operations Steve Hocking boss earlier in the week over his openness to rename the AFL to AFLM.
AFL's Steve Hocking has got to be answerable to someone in the AFL before making thoughtless comments, that then have to be reversed. Embarrassing and unprofessional for the AFL. An organisation with little administrative discipline. Answerable to no one.
— Jeff Kennett (@jeff_kennett) February 11, 2020
“Everyone is entitled to their opinion but they can expect to have those opinions challenged,” he said.
Asked if he would continue to stand up for his beliefs to the AFL in his final season, Kennett responded: “I will continue to discharge my responsibilities as president of Hawthorn on behalf of my members as I believe it to be in their interest.”