Perennially embattled Giant Toby Greene has failed in his attempts to cap his suspension for making contact with umpire Matt Stevic to three-games.

Following a marathon hearing that commenced on Thursday morning, it was announced that the 28-year-old's ban had been extended to six-weeks following the AFL's decision to challenge the initial length of the suspension.

The deliberations have arisen following Green's decision to make forceful contact with umpire Matt Stevic during GWS' one-point elimination final over Sydney in late August.

Embed from Getty Images

The dynamic, yet enigmatic, Greene was then banished to the stands for the Giants' semi-final loss to the Cats in what was originally slated for the first of a trio of weeks on the sidelines.

But following these latest revelations, Greene must now wait until Round 6 of next season before he can pull on the boots again.

Throughout the lengthy deliberations, the contact made on Stevic by Greene was referred to as a "bar room" act by the league's counsel Jeff Gleeson.

The Queen's Counsel also claimed that the act was both undertaken whilst "angry and aggressive" and required "serious consequence".

Gleeson also stated unequivocally that the initial sentence was “manifestly inadequate” in nature.

MELBOURNE, AUSTRALIA - SEPTEMBER 19: Toby Greene of the Giants arrives for his AFL Tribunal Appeal Hearing with Paul Connors (right) at AFL House on September 19, 2019 in Melbourne, Australia. (Photo by Michael Willson/AFL Photos via Getty Images)

Whilst also making a case in direct opposition to Gleeson's, Greene admitted that he was at fault when colliding with Stevic following the three-quarter time siren in Launceston.

“I do apologise for making contact and it‘s certainly something I wasn’t trying to do,” Greene was quoted by Fox Sports.

“I agree it’s not a great look for the game and I do apologise.”

Gleeson was also said to have argued that the Giant's lack of initial remorse or guilty plea should have seen the opening ban handed down in September extend well beyond a month in length.

In opposition, Ben Ihle QC stated on behalf of Greene that the onus was on the league to prove that said penalty was insufficient.

Though admitting that Greene's actions had been aggressive in nature, Ihle argued that the contact between Stevic and the forward's shoulders only arose when the latter was seeking to punctuate a point ahead of the final term.

BRISBANE, AUSTRALIA - SEPTEMBER 14: Luke Hodge of the Lions and Toby Greene of the Giants wrestle during the 2019 AFL Second Semi Final match between the Brisbane Lions and the GWS Giants at the Gabba on September 14, 2019 in Brisbane, Australia. (Photo by Michael Willson/AFL Photos via Getty Images)

Following time for deliberation, Greene's ban was extended in length just after 2pm AEST.

Although disappointed, GWS' general manager Jason McCartney claimed that after being drawn out, the matter was now over and the the club, and Greene, would turn their eyes to the future.

“As we said at the time, as a club we maintain that umpires are sacrosanct. We understand the important role they play in our game and they are to be respected at all times," McCartney was quoted by The Herald Sun.

“Toby apologised for his actions. He is remorseful for the incident that occurred and understands the responsibility he has to umpires specifically, and the game more broadly.

“We accept the suspension and consider the matter finalised.”

MELBOURNE, AUSTRALIA - SEPTEMBER 15: Toby Greene of the Giants looks dejected after losing the AFL Semi Final match between the Collingwood Magpies and the Greater Western Sydney Giants at Melbourne Cricket Ground on September 15, 2018 in Melbourne, Australia. (Photo by Quinn Rooney/Getty Images)

Given that the 2022 fixture is yet to be completed and released, it is not yet known which opponents Leon Cameron's side will face during Greene's five-week absence.

This latest report and sentence now brings the perennially misbehaving forward's tribunal record to 22 charges for seven bans.

The Victorian has also been made to pay $29,350 in fines across his decade long career in an orange guernsey.