MELBOURNE, AUSTRALIA - NOVEMBER 07: Jobe Watson of the Bombers reacts during an Essendon Bomber AFL pre-season training session at True Value Solar Centre on November 7, 2016 in Melbourne, Australia. (Photo by Michael Dodge/Getty Images)

Essendon agrees compensation claim with 18 players

The Bombers have agreed to compensation payments for 18 current and former players affected by the supplements regime.

Legal firm Slater and Gordon, who represent 18 of the 34 suspended players, have confirmed that an in-principle agreement been reached between the club and 18 of the players involved in the 2012 supplements saga.

Top Stories

“All issues in these 18 cases have been agreed in-principle and subject to the paperwork now being satisfactory and being executed by our clients, the matters will be formally resolved in the next several days,” Class action lawyer Patrick Gordon said.

“These players were innocent participants in the supplements program. They were given assurances that all supplements they were receiving had been approved from people who they thought they could trust.

“No player at any time intended to breach their obligations under the AFL Anti-Doping Code and any such breach that occurred was due to the players being misled about the nature of the supplements they received.

“They now hope to move on with their lives and careers, both within and outside the AFL.

“The negotiations with the Essendon Football club have been complex and we acknowledge the constructive approach of the Essendon Football Club and in particular, its CEO Xavier Campbell in resolving these matters.”

Gordon said the settlement amounts will remain confidential.

Comments