PERTH, AUSTRALIA - JULY 27: Mason Wood of the Kangaroos celebrates a goal during the round 19 AFL match between the West Coast Eagles and the North Melbourne Kangaroos at Optus Stadium on July 27, 2019 in Perth, Australia. (Photo by Paul Kane/Getty Images)

After being delisted by North Melbourne in September after 67 games with the club, a new fully-fit Mason Wood is ready to prove the doubters wrong.

Wood, 27, is undertaking an early pre-season involving a number of running sessions and home gym sessions in the hopes of earning a gig at another AFL club as a delisted free agent.

He has received some interest, but until clubs fully know the list sizes for 2021, any genuine bid for Wood or other delisted free agents will be on hold.

Speaking on AFL.com.au this week, Wood said he is working hard and hoping to have another shot at AFL level.

“Trying to piece together for my way back in, hopefully worst-case scenario is I’ll have the opportunity to train with a club throughout the pre-season,” Wood said.

“You don’t want to rock up half-baked… after three weeks of a holiday in Queensland I was ready to get back into it.

“We spent the last five or six weeks of the hub just maintaining (our fitness) and trying to get through… we actually didn’t do much training at all.

“Every time I looked at it and thought, ‘Whatever way I can get back in, I feel like I’ve got a point to prove, I’ve got plenty more AFL footy left in me’.

“I had a few conversations about (playing) VFL or state leagues and I’ll definitely go down that path if it doesn’t work out with the AFL.

“If I have to spend a year in the VFL to get back onto a list that’s what I’ll do.”

Wood signed to a four-year deal in 2016 by the Roos but suffered numerous injury setbacks during his time with the club.

The forward managed his best season in 2019 where he played 18 matches for the club, including a four-goal match winning performance against Sydney.

He had an inconsistent 2020 campaign, only managing eight games before getting delisted.

Wood said he hasn’t needed any off-season surgery and is feeling good.

“Last year I had a grade 3 torn quad for the first half of pre-season that we didn’t know about,” he said.

“That’s what was a bit frustrating this year that I couldn’t match-up form for whatever reason because my body was in really good nick.

“Come the end of the year I didn’t need any surgeries, I don’t need maintenance or anything like that, so all things considered, I’m in a pretty good spot if that opportunity comes, I could come straight back in.

“That’s what I’m training for at the minute.”