The AFL has released a statement regarding Port Adelaide's handling of Aliir Aliir and Lachie Jones' head clash during last Saturday night's Showdown against the Adelaide Crows at Adelaide Oval.

Aliir and Jones met in a heavy clash of heads during the third quarter of Saturday's action, resulting in the removal of Jones from the contest.

Aliir and Jones were both subject to head injury assessments (HIA), as Jones was consequently substituted out of the contest following a SCAT5 concussion test. However, Aliir was not subjected to a SCAT5 test following the incident and played out the remainder of the game.

As a result, the AFL has issued a 'please explain' to the Power, regarding its handling of the situation. Since Saturday night, Aliir, in addition to Jones, has been admitted into the AFL's concussion protocols, meaning he will also miss at least this weekend's clash with Geelong.

The AFL released a statement on Monday afternoon, detailing the situation as well as their response to Port Adelaide's dealings.

"The AFL has issued the Port Adelaide Football Club with a 'please explain' regarding the concussion protocol management of Aliir Aliir, specifically in relation to the club's decision not to undertake a SCAT5 concussion test following the Head Injury Assessment (HIA) that occurred during the third quarter of Saturday night's showdown at Adelaide Oval. Aliir returned to play after the initial HIA without a SCAT5 being undertaken," the statement reads.

"In absence of the SCAT5 test occurring and out of an abundance of caution, the Port Adelaide Football Club has decided to enter Aliir into AFL Concussion protocols and he will be unable to participate, at a minimum, in the clubs Round 21 match this week vs the Geelong Cats.

"Upon further review after being substituted on Saturday night, Port Adelaide player Lachie Jones, who was involved in the collision with Aliir, has also entered AFL Concussion protocols.

"Both players will now need to undertake and medically pass the mandatory 11-step, minimum 12-day process before returning to play. The AFL's Chief Medical Officer, Dr Michael Makdissi will continue to liaise with Port Adelaide Club doctors in the monitoring both player's progress."

Late Monday afternoon, Port Adelaide released its official injury report ahead of Round 21, confirming Aliir and Jones would miss this weekend's important bout with the Cats.

Power Club Doctor Mark Fisher shared the latest on the duo, admitting Aliir 'should have' been subject to a SCAT5 concussion test, as Jones was.

"Lachie was tested during the game and after it, then again on Sunday. We have continued to monitor him and after further testing this morning he has entered the concussion protocols out of an abundance of caution," stated Dr. Fisher on Monday.

"Like Lachie, Aliir's condition was the subject of testing both on Saturday night after the game and since.

"However, upon reviewing the vision of the incident again, Aliir should have undergone SCAT testing at the time immediately following the collision.

"Both Lachie and Aliir will have a gradual return to play as per the AFL's concussion management guidelines."

Port Adelaide's meeting with Geelong is scheduled for Saturday, August 5 at 7:25 PM (AEST).