MELBOURNE, AUSTRALIA - MARCH 12: Steve Hocking speaks to the media during an AFL press conference at AFL House on March 12, 2019 in Melbourne, Australia. (Photo by Stefan Postles/Getty Images)

The AFL is considering a ‘quarantine hub’ if and when it restarts later this year, as reported by The Age.

It would involve choosing one or two isolated locations where all games would be played in a bid to counter the COVID-19 outbreak.

A decision will be made in the last week of April on whether or not clubs should prepare to resume training after May 31.

AFL football operations general manager Steve Hocking confirmed that the league was weighing up a ‘quarantine hub’.

“There seems to be a trend towards that,” he told The Age.

“Again there is no certainty around any of that, if you have a look at where some of those major competitions in other parts of the world sit. Whilst they may be exploring it, there is still a lot up in the air.

“It is just part of how you set up a fixture that is the important part, the fixture is the number one and from there, how do you execute and deliver the fixture? That is where we are currently.”

Hocking said clubs had agreed they could resume competition within three weeks of being given the all clear.

“What I would say is the later it goes then you would pull the pre-season out to four weeks but four weeks is the absolute maximum that we have agreed to as an industry,” he said.

The season will have the same restrictions if it resumes as round one – shorter quarters and no cut rotations with a four man-interchange.

There is still no date set for when the league would consider cutting back the 144-game target or point of no return of when the season will be cancelled.