CANBERRA, AUSTRALIA - APRIL 01: ASADA CEO Ben McDevitt held a press conference following yesterday's verdict on the Essendon Bombers AFL anti-doping case at the Department of Health offices on April 1, 2015 in Canberra, Australia. The anti-doping body is still considering whether to appeal the not guilty findings for 34 current and former Essendon players. (Photo by Stefan Postles/Getty Images)

Australian Sports Minister Greg Hunt has formally ruled out an inquiry surrounding ASADA’s handling of the Essendon drugs scandal.

The Herald Sun last week revealed that the Senate had pushed for a new inquiry into ASADA’s handling of the scandal, but Hunt said he had to respect the decision made by the courts and resist an investigation.

“In recent times material has been supplied to my office by members of the public regarding concerns about the conduct of the investigation into doping at the Essendon Football Club,” Mr Hunt said.

“After review and due consideration, and in light of the exhaustive review processes already applied to this matter, the Department has advised that there is no new or substantive information in the material supplied that would justify a further investigation. I have accepted that advice.”

Departing ASADA boss Ben McDevitt said those who were pushing for an inquiry could not have the punishment overturned, and the results have been finalised.

“So far as antidoping matters can be litigated, either on merit or process, the Essendon matters have been finalised,” Mr McDevitt said.

“Aspects of this case have been forensically examined by bodies including, but not limited to, the independent Anti-Doping Rule Violation Panel, the AFL Anti-Doping Tribunal, the Victorian Supreme Court, the Federal Court of Australia by both single Judge and then via Full Bench, the Court of Arbitration for Sport and even the Swiss Federal Court.”