With the 2013 National Draft selections now beginning to make their mark on the AFL, Herald Sun journalist Sam Landsberger has tried his hand at re-drafting the young superstars.
With Tom Boyd, Josh Kelly, Jack Billings and Marcus Bontempelli all going inside the top four back in 2013, the draft is quickly becoming the next super draft, with many players now cementing their spots inside the top five players at their current clubs.
Landsberger went with Bontempelli as his number one, with the premiership hero already one of the best players across the competition.
Josh Kelly stays in his original position at number two, while Landsberger elevates the 26th pick up 23 places into third.
Essendon star Zach Merrett rounds of the top three of his list, with Landsberger claiming “No.1 in AFL for metres gained this season, averaging 599 per game. Leather-poisoning Don the fans love,” he wrote.
Sam Landsberger’s 2013 AFL National Draft top 10 re-drafted:
- Marcus Bontempelli – Western Bulldogs (Pick 4 in 2013)
- Josh Kelly – GWS (Pick 2)
- Zach Merrett – Essendon (Pick 26)
- Patrick Cripps – Carlton (Pick 13)
- Jayden Hunt – Melbourne (Pick 57)
- Orazio Fantasia – Essendon (Pick 55)
- Matt Crouch – Adelaide (Pick 23)
- Tom Boyd – Western Bulldogs (Pick 1)
- Rory Lobb – GWS (Pick 29)
- Ben Brown – North Melbourne (Pick 47)
The original 2013 AFL National Draft top 10:
- Tom Boyd – GWS
- Josh Kelly – GWS
- Jack Billings – St Kilda
- Marcus Bontempelli – Western Bulldogs
- Kade Kolodjashnij – Gold Coast
- Matthew Scharenberg – Collingwood
- James Aish – Brisbane
- Luke McDonald – North Melbourne
- Christian Salem – Melbourne
- Nathan Freeman – Collingwood