Hawthorn’s premiership star Jordan Lewis could still join the Demons this trade period.
Reports emerged on Thursday that Lewis, who is contracted for 2017, had been offered up for trade to free up more salary cap space for the incoming Jaeger O’Meara.
But the Hawks are said to have backflipped on the move after the Dees and Lewis were close to agreeing to a deal.
Hawthorn list manager Graham Wright refuted the claims on Friday, claiming Lewis is a required player.
“He was never put on the trade table, he had an open and honest conversation with Clarko a couple weeks ago about what his future would look like,” Wright said.
“This was about his future and what it would look like beyond next year. That conversation was had, Jordan’s management explored that there might be something else for him after next year if he happened to finish up.
“From that perspective it was brought to us on Tuesday night, we had a brief conversation with Melbourne on Wednesday and then with Jordan yesterday and as of yesterday afternoon we decided that we really didn’t want Jordan to go anywhere and he’s a required contracted player.
“At this stage, absolutely (can guarantee Lewis will be at Hawthorn next year).”
However, the rumours refuse to go away, with AFL Trade radio’s Damian Barrett reporting that Lewis is less than pleased with Hawthorn’s position on his future.
As a result, Melbourne is still a chance of recruiting Lewis, despite Hawthorn’s change of heart.
“Liam Pickering (Lewis’ manager) was at Melbourne FC this morning meeting with the club talking about Jordan Lewis,” Barrett told AFL Trade radio.
“Jordan Lewis is livid about what was put to him about playing elsewhere. He’s knocked back huge offers in the past to stay together.”
Meanwhile, FoxSports also says there is still a chance Lewis could leave the club, reporting that he even called new Melbourne coach Simon Goodwin on Thursday night to discuss his future.
The Demons are believed to have offered Lewis a two-year deal.